25.1.09

Burns Night

Tonight being Burn's night means Neeps 'n' Tatties and a Macsween's Vegetarian haggis in my house. I am going to try Henrietta Green, of Farmers’ Markets fame, swede and horseradish mash as an alternative to my usual separate dollop of mash and neeps. Use equal quantities of neeps(swede) and potato,1 kg of each will feed 4 people. Floury potatoes work best, Cara, Desiree, Golden Wonder, King Edwards, Maris Bard, Romano are all good. Boil separately until soft. Mash, adding lots of butter and creamed horseradish to taste. Don't forget the wee dram of scotch whisky and to read Robbie's Ode to the Haggis.

3 comments:

elspeth said...

Ros, thanks for the reminder about Burns Night (With a Scottish name and two Scottish grandmothers I should know!!) I shall try the horseradish mash recipe now, it sounds great.
And what a great idea for a blog - I look forward to seeing it develop!
x Elspeth

homemade said...

Thanks lovely Elspeth
The vegetarian haggis may not be trad
but very tasty.
XXX

Tracy x said...

Veggie Haggis enjoyed here too along with mustard mash - yum.
i am so looking forward to seeing your new book and many future blog posts :)
tracy x